This is our final CON GUY SHOW before San Diego Comic-Con. This week we list and discuss all the big parties and off-sites that will be in San Diego this week. From the biggest celebrity parties (Entertainment Weekly) to the most fan-friendly events (National Geographic’s Nerd Night), we break down the events and off-sites we think you’ll enjoy. Right here on this week’s show.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 18 (PREVIEW NIGHT)
- 2 Blog 2 Furious, the San Diego Comic-Con Unofficial Blog’s annual party. 6-9 p.m., McFadden’s Pub, 731 Fifth Ave. Free and open to all.
- Rotten Tomatoes Press Mixer. 7-10 p.m., Bar 207 at the Hard Rock Hotel, 207 Fifth Ave. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- Game of Bloggers. Reservations closed.
- Ready Player Party. Sold out.
- Wednesday July 18th with Gabe Eltaeb’s Comic Kickoff Fundraiser and Party at Basic Bar and Pizza at 410 10thAve. in San Diego from 9 p.m.-1 a.m.! Win great raffle prizes, meet amazing artists and have a couple drinks all to support Hero initiative! Artists in attendance include Todd Nauck, Jim Calafiore, and more.
THURSDAY, JULY 19
- Wired Cafe. The annual industry and party lounge returns to San Diego. Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily. Free.
- Den of Geek’s happy hour. 6-8 p.m., Horton Grand Hotel courtyard. Invitation only, RSVP required. 311 Island Ave.
- Fandom party. Sponsored by Fox’sThe Gifted. Food, themed drinks, games and music from DJ Mark Ronson. 7-11 p.m., Float at the Hard Rock, 207 Fifth Ave. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- Alpha Book Club Happy HourFree and open to the public. 7-8 p.m., Sparks Gallery, 530 Sixth Ave.
- Rock the Block VIP Party. Sponsored by Fire TV and Dolby Atmos. 517 Seventh Ave. 9 p.m.-midnight. 21 and over. RSVP required.
- After-Con party featuring DJ Kristian Narin (Game of Thrones). Doors at 9 p.m., 21 and over. Open to the public, RSVP required. Omnia, 454 Sixth Ave.
- Stone Brewing’s annual Hop-Con! Stone’s famous w00tstout beer will flow at Stone’s World Bistro, and artist Joe Jusko has the honor to create this year’s label and print. Prints will be available for sale at the venue and at Hero’s booth at the convention! Don’t miss out on this epic event!
- Nuclear Blast USA and Sideshow Collectibles’ Court of the Dead present a hard-core Comic-Con after party, Thursday night at the House of Blues, featuring Testament and Carnifex. Doors open at 7PM and the show begins at 8. The event is all ages but under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Tickets are $35 for general admission or $85 for reserved seating. Use pre-sale code “LegacySD” to score tickets now at Ticketmaster!
- Kick-off Comic-Con with comics’ greatest creators at the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund’s Comic-Con Welcome Party, sponsored by comiXology and Boom! Studios, with a special gallery display from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. The fun starts at 8pm on Thursday, July 19, at the Westgate Hotel, where CBLDF welcomes you to Comic-Con for a night of amazing creators, astonishing artwork, and outstanding exclusives. This party is free for CBLDF Members. Non-members: Suggested $10 – $20 donation at the door. You can also get tickets now atEventbrite.
- TheSupernatural Wiki hosts their 3rd Supernatural fan event at Analog Bar on Thursday, July 19, starting at 6:00pm. The venue is open to all ages until 9:30pm at which time it is 21+. The $50 tickets include entry, the Hunter’s banquet, and exclusive swag. There is also a queue jumper pass available for $70. Drink tokens will be available for purchase for Supernaturalthemed cocktails. Tickets are available at Eventbrite.
- The producers of last year’s wildly successful BANGARANG party are back and bigger than ever! Pastel up your cosplay and throw on those slap-braclets to join SUPER NEWS, THE MACHINE, FAN GURU and THE GEEK GATSBY as they take you back to the 90s for a night of totally rad dancing featuring revved up funky DJ sets by Dante Basco (Rufio inHOOK, Prince Zuko in AVATAR: The Last Airbender). The party happens at nightclub Bassmnt on Thursday, July 21, from 9pm to 1am. Regular price will be $30 for General Access, and $75 for VIP, however Early Bird pricing available until early July at Eventology.
- Varietyis arriving at San Diego Comic-Con 2018 in full force, and a little celebration is in order. On Thursday night, the entertainment business publication and YouTube Originals will co-host a Comic-Con kickoff party on the Omnia Terrace to launch the Variety Studio at Comic-Con, where cast members and creators from various films and TV shows will stop to discuss their projects. Thursday through Saturday, stars present at the convention will climb aboard the Variety Yacht at 5th Avenue Landing for portraits and interviews, with video coverage posted on Variety.com.
FRIDAY, JULY 20
- BuzzFeed and The CW present Spells and Spirits. 5-8 p.m., Altitude Sky Lounge, 7036, 660 K St. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- Warner Bros. TV cocktail media mixer. 7-9 p.m., Float Rooftop Bar at the Hard Rock, 207 Fifth Ave. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- IMDboat Party. Sponsored by Atom Tickets. Kevin Smith hosts the executive-heavy, invitation-only party. Fifth Avenue landing, behind the Convention Center. 7:30-10:30 p.m. RSVP required.
- IGN party. Sponsored by Amazon Studios’Jack Ryan. 8 p.m., Andaz Rooftop, 600 F St. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- National Geographic’s Nerd Night celebrating the season two premiere ofMars. 8-11 p.m., Hotel Solamar, 465 Sixth Ave. Invitation only, RSVP required. For the 5th year in a row, National Geographic teams up with Nerd Nite for a free event during Comic-Con, taking visitors on an intergalactic journey through Earth and to Mars to celebrate NatGeo’s Mars. Catch the event, complete with free food and drinks, as well as awesome science talks, on Friday, July 20, from 8-11pm at the rooftop terrace and pool at Hotel Solamar. The Nite will feature four funny-yet-smart presentations: former NASA astronaut Leland Melvin, JPL’s Bobak Ferdowsi (‘The Mohawk Guy’), JPL’s Emily Manor-Chapman, and Alejandro T. Rojas from Den of Geek.RSVP here or here and there may be a stand-by line when the RSVP closes. You can also learn more about the monthly events at San Diego Nerd Nite.
- Aspen Comics’ 15th anniversary party. 8-11 p.m., Mission Brewery Cellar and Loft, 1441 L St. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- Syfy fan party: Fan Creators/It’s a Fan (Made) Thing. Free and open to all, RSVP required. 9 p.m.-1 a.m., The New Children’s Museum, 200 W. Island Ave.
- Nerdist and Legendary Television’s Lost in Space party. The dance party, featuring a guest DJ set by the Lost in Space “Robot,” will take place at the Oxford Social Club, 435 Fifth Ave. Invitation only.
SATURDAY, JULY 21
- TruTV’s Impractical Jokers block party. Third annual event will feature the Tenderloins overseeing a day of special appearances, a zipline 3D photo experience, White Castle food truck, DJ and more. 1-9 p.m., the Park at Petco Park. Open to the public, first-come, first-served.
- Bill Prady’s annual League of Extraordinary Nerds party. 3-7 p.m., Pool Club at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel. RSVP required.
- NBC party. Time, attendees being kept under wraps. Gaslamp Square. Invitation only.
- 20th Century Fox TV, FX and Fox cocktail reception. 7 p.m., Craft + Commerce, 675 Beech St. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- Entertainment Weekly‘s annual star-studded closing night celebration. 9 p.m., Float at the Hard Rock Hotel, 207 Fifth Ave. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- Syfy fan party: Harry Potter/Wizarding Weekend theme. Free and open to all, RSVP required. 9 p.m.-1 a.m., The New Children’s Museum, 200 W. Island Ave.
- Join the San Diego Automotive Museum and the Gaslight Steampunk Expo on Saturday, July 21st from 7pm – 9pm for a very special SDCC after-party in Balboa Park. Meet local makers and other fans as you take a turn around the Special Exhibition: Steampunk with a Retro Twist. There will be a No Host bar, appetizers, and lots of free parking! Costumes and photos are encouraged! We look forward to seeing you here! Tickets are $20 and available at the v. All tickets will be available at will call on the day of the event. Any tickets not purchased online prior to the 21st will be available for sale at the door on a first-come, first-served basis.
The Off-Sites / Activations
Nerdist House at Sparks Gallery! That’s right, we’re returning to San Diego with entertainment, hang-outs, live Nerdist shows, a VR experience based on the sci-fi series SONA, a party for the 200th episode of Bizarre States and much, much more. Sparks Gallery is located at 530 Sixth Avenue. Nerdist House is open to the public and free of charge, and you do not need a Comic-Con badge to attend. We’re celebrating all things Nerdist, Geek & Sundry, and Alpha with live editions of shows such as Nerdist News, Because Science, and Talkin’ Toons. And you never know who you’ll see at Nerdist House, because all kinds of special guests are stopping by. We’ll have meet and greets with our incredible talent, authors V.E. Schwab, R.A. Salvatore, and Cory Doctorow, Talkin’ Toons host Rob Paulsen with special guests Maurice LaMarche and Randy Rogel, among others. https://nerdist.com/sdcc/
Castle Rock activation
Tour the town of Castle Rock’s bed and breakfast and explore its vast forest, with surprises around every corner. Visitors will question what’s real and begin to understand why Castle Rock is called the unluckiest town on Earth as they journey through the multi-room experience. A Hulu campsite lounge will also serve as a refuge from the chaos of Comic-Con while offering a preview of the Hulu series. Intersection of Front Street and Island Avenue, Thursday-Sunday.
GRAND DESIGNS “EXPERIENCE” (formerly the Petco interactive zone)
Here’s a look at some of the activations:
- Marvel’sCloak & Dagger on Freeform recreates the iconic moment Tyrone and Tandy’s powers interact by fabricating a physical experience where participants are harnessed to a bungee that propels them backwards from the force of their powers. A slow-motion recording captures the moment in an overlay effect that shows both the light and dark energy emitting from participants.
- Sony Pictures Entertainment’s “Ghostbusters World”— in collaboration with Ghost Corps, the game’s publisher FourThirtyThree Inc. (4:33) and developer NextAge —invites attendees to experience the new augmented reality game for smartphones at its first public demo. While attendees wait their turn in line for the first chance to battle and capture the ghosts populating The Experience, they can try on authentic Ghostbusters costumes, pose with the original Ecto-1 and awe at the towering Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
- In celebration of SHARK WEEK’s 30th anniversary premiering July 22 at 8 p.m. on Discovery Channel, Sharkzilla will be taking over San Diego during Comic-Con. The 40-foot long inflatable shark will be outside the Convention Center ready for photos with fans. In addition, every hour Sharkzilla will bare its teeth and chomp everyday items – from lifeguard towers to beach chairs, and there will be plenty of jawsome SHARK WEEK swag for fans to enjoy.
- Samsungbrings the ultimate 4K gaming experience via a tricked-out semi-truck outfitted with custom-built gaming pods and its newest line of QLED TVs. Fans are invited to compete for the fastest winning time in Forza Motorsport 7 on Xbox One X to win premium prizes from Samsung and Xbox – an unbeatable combination.
- PlayerUnkown’s Battleground Mobile (PUBG MOBILE), is providing an immersive experience throughout the event, including a community gathering, a fully-branded entrance and exit, roaming charging stations for those in need, IGN live and GameSpot’s Comic-Con Twitter Moments, giveaways that include branded swags, postcards with exclusive in-game rewards and much more.
The Experience Evening Entertainment
- THURSDAY JULY 19
6:00PM – Jurassic Park Presented By NBC 7 / Telemundo 20 San Diego
8:15 PM – Freeform Presents Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger Episode 8
- FRIDAY JULY 20
6:30 PM – Music by Saint Heart
7:30 PM – Grandesign Presents the Band From TV
- SATURDAY JULY 21
5:00PM – eSports: Fortnite: Pros vs Pros
8:00PM – Atom Tickets Presents Sony Pictures’ Spiderman Homecoming
From Syfy at The Experience:
- The Human Claw Machine! The all-you-can-grab extravaganza, located at the Children’s Museum, features a life-size claw machine that will lower players into a pit of prizes
- Genre-themed bingo trolleys roaming the Gaslamp
- The SYFY karaoke bus – one of last year’s fan favorites — for those who love to sing their hearts out
Cloak and Dagger activation
Freeform and Marvel bring “The Experience” to Petco Park with two different interactive events. Features a re-created moment between characters Tyrone and Tandy when their powers interact in which a bungee will propel fans backwards and a slow-motion recording will capture the moment. Thursday through Sunday at Petco Park starting at 10 a.m. daily.
DC Universe activation
The forthcoming subscription streaming service is offering a look at its upcoming content as people can walk through original, classic and comics soon to be available on the platform. The larger than life installation will also have interactive spaces that bring iconic characters and stories to life. Thursday-Sunday. Preregistration: http://dcuniverseexperience.com/
Cable network FX sets up camp again on the lawn of the Hilton San Diego Bayfront for its annual activation featuring installations from shows including Legion, American Horror Story, Mayans MC andArcher. Includes the Legion Chamber and AHS Eccentricities Gallery, Mayans deconstructed bike zone, Archer sound boxes and more. Register in advance at FXSDCC.com. noon-6 p.m., Thursday; 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday and Saturday; 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Sunday.
The Good Place experience
Immerse yourself in the philosophical world of the NBC comedy as the activation transports attendees into the neighborhood depicted on the series. Guests can become part of the scene and relive unforgettable moments. Thursday-Sunday, Gaslamp Square between the convention center and Hard Rock Hotel.
Jack Ryan Training Field
Experience the world of Amazon’s forthcoming drama with a VR experience at the park at the corner of First Street and Martin Luther King Promenade, across the street from the convention center. The 30-foot-tall facility uses Optitrack 4D and Oculus Rift tech to create experiences ranging from rappelling from a helicopter and ziplining. 9 a.m.-7 p.m., Thursday-Saturday; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sunday.
Mr. Mercedes Immersive Experience
Be the first to play the VR escape room game Mr. Mercedes: Lair Escape on the HTC Vive Pro, the next generation of VR headsets. Play Mr. Mercedes: Finders Keepers, the augmented reality adventure game to collect clues to unlock never-before-seen content and special prizes. 643 G St., Thursday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Pre-registration details: att.com/MrMercedesSDCC.
Project Blue Book headquarters
An immersive experience surrounding History’s forthcoming UFO drama is set for the Petco Park parking lot. The event will offer attendees a chance to send a message billions of miles into space. Thursday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sunday. Free.
The Purge‘s Purge City store
The immersive experience transports shoppers into the world of USA Network’s The Purge with a tongue-in-cheek, one-stop shop for the perfect Purge Night, where “Purge City” staff will help visitors stock up on emergency candles, masks and energy drinks. Shoppers can also take part in product demos, photo ops and get a glimpse of the TV series based on the Jason Blum feature of the same name. Free. 215 Tony Gwynn Drive, Thursday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Sunday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
South Park activations
Comedy Central is hosting a Cartman-themed escape room for the animated favorite in which 10 fans will have a limited amount of time to solve a series of puzzles using what they know about the show to free themselves. Thursday-Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m., San Diego Wine Center, 200 Harbor Drive #12, across from the convention center. Free.
The Walking Dead‘s “Dead Quarters” | The activation returns for its second year as the immersive experience features a curated walk through settings (the Sanctuary) on both the flagship drama and spinoff Fear the Walking Dead. Plus a 22-foot zombie slide, photos with Negan’s “flaming Lucille” and other activities. Martin Luther King Promenade in front of the Hilton Gaslamp Hotel at Fourth Avenue and L Street. 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Thursday-Saturday; 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Sunday.
The Ready Player One Challenge
San Diego Comic Con is inspired by the hit film from Steven Spielberg will kick off Wednesday, July 18 from 5PM – 7PM and will be open daily July 19 – 21, from 10AM – 7PM and on Sunday, July 22 from 10AM – 5PM. Admission is free. Step into the OASIS and join in an adventure too big for the real world! Sign up here: https://www.readyplayeronechallenge.com/rsvp.php
TEAMCOCOHOUSE will be open beginning Wednesday July 18th through Saturday July 21nd. Located at 327 Fourth Ave, a few blocks from the convention center, TEAMCOCOHOUSE will showcase a daily lineup of comics handpicked by Conan, podcasts, panels, screenings, giveaways and special appearances by friends of Team Coco, as well as O’Brien himself. RSVP here. http://www.tbs.com/teamcocohouse
Toymaker Super7 is on the exhibit floor at Booth #4945. Two Pop-Up Shops. Super7 will transform into Hordak’s Lair on Wednesday, July 18 (9PM – 12AM) – Thursday, July 19 (11AM – 9PM) and the Universal Monsters Boodega on Friday, July 20 from 9PM-12AM, Saturday, July 21 from 11AM-9PM, or Sunday, July 22 from 11AM-5PM. Taking place at the San Diego Super7 Store (located at 701 8th Avenue SD California 92101) Super7’s “Boodega Monstore” collaboration with Universal Monsters will include soda, lighters, shoes, shirts, ReAction figures, signed and numbered prints from artist Ed Repka, and more.
LEGION M. With support from Skybound Entertainment, Legion M will host the Fan Lounge on Thursday, July 19 – Friday, July 20 from 10AM-7PM, or on Saturday, July 21 from 10AM-5PM. The event – set for the Harbor House Restaurant (831 W. Harbor Dr) will be the home of activities, contests, appearances and more to coincide with the popular Skybound Livestream powered by NONGSHIM, which will welcome high-profile guests, gamers and comics pros (including Guardians of the Galaxy‘s Michael Rooker and world-renowned film critic and historian Leonard Maltin, and others). In order to attend, you’ll need to RSVP at legionm.com/sdcc2018.
Cartman’s Escape Room
200 Harbor Dr #12, on Thursday, July 19 – Sunday, July 22. Ten South Park attendees will solve a series of puzzles using their South Park knowledge to free themselves…Hours:
- Thursday, July 19 – 9:30AM – 7PM
- Friday, July 20 – 9:30AM-7PM
- Saturday, July 21 – 9:30AM-7PM
- Sunday, July 22 – 9:30AM-5PM
THE GOOD PLACE:
NBC will be transforming downtown San Diego into The Good Place, with a replica of the neighborhood from the show. Located in the Gaslamp Square in front of the Hard Rock and Omni hotels: RSVP at https://www.thegoodplacesdcc.com
Thursday, July 19 – Sunday, July 22 at the Hard Rock Hotel. Oxygen bar, charging stations, and previews of the series.
Adult Swim on the Green
From Adult Swim: “We’re building our own State Park and exposing you to all the nature you came to Comic-Con to avoid. Enjoy a relaxing afternoon watching some chainsaw-wielding wood carvers and get your buns toasted on our mechanical hot dog roaster. Have some s’mores around our midday bonfire while enjoying our streams, and visit the camp store so you can stock up on the merch you’ve been begging for (yeah, store’s back)! You can pretend to be William Tell and even challenge your fellow humans to canoe races around our lazy river. It’s going to be just like the good old days we imagine happened, sometime.”
More info here: http://www.adultswim.com/presents/sdcc-18/
Adult Swim Nighttime Entertainment on the Green
THURSDAY, JULY 19 (open 4PM – 2AM)
- 8:00 p.m. – “Things You’ve Never Seen” Screening: A night of specials and original pilots brought to fans by SNICKERS.
10:00 p.m. – Last Stream on the Left Live! A live broadcast of popular podcast
11:00 p.m. – Let’s Play Pool Panic Live! Join Adult Swim Games for a late-night of gameplay and friendly multiplayer competition.
FRIDAY, JULY 20 (open 4PM – 2AM)
- 8:00 p.m. – AS Cosplay Competition Hosted by Henry Zebrowski – We invite cosplayers to show off their inspired creations, don their best Adult Swim themed garb and strut their stuff! Awards will be passed out and bragging rights will last a lifetime.
8:30 p.m. – The Venture Bros. Fan Event – Fans will watch two episodes from the new season of The Venture Bros. Creators Doc Hammer and Jackson Public on hand to reveal secrets of the new season in a special Q&A session.
10:00 p.m. – Let’s Play Pool Panic Live! Join Adult Swim Games for a late-night of gameplay and friendly multiplayer competition.
SATURDAY, JULY 22 (open 4PM – 2AM)
- 7:15 p.m. – Toonami Pre-Flight to with TOM and SARA – Get behind-the-scenes info from show hosts Jason DeMarco and Gill Austin, Steve Blum (voice of TOM) and Dana Swanson (voice of SARA).
8:15 p.m. – The Pillows Live In Concert – A event not to be missed! Special live concert to celebrate the new seasons of FLCL.
10:00 p.m. – Rick and Morty Fan Event – The fan favorite show is back for a special event! Admission is extremely limited so fans should register at AdultSwimPresents.com for details on how to receive event wristbands.
Pinball Lounge: Attendees will have their chance to play the hottest titles from Stern Pinball at Comic-Con International’s official Pinball Lounge located directly next door to the Convention Center at the Marriott Marquis Pacific Ballroom 14-16. Come with friends for the free play games and stay for the daily high score tournaments with prizes! FREE
Square Enix is creating the ultimate Tomb Raider experience where players can become lost in an immersive world. Play the hands-on demo of the highly anticipated Shadow of the Tomb Raider, enjoy exotic survival food, shareable photo opportunities and much more. Lara Croft’s defining moment is coming, but don’t miss your chance to get a sneak preview! Join Square Enix at the Deck at Moonshine Flats from 1PM – 10PM, Thursday, July 19, through Sunday, July 22.
Taco Bell Demolition Man pop-up
Stop by 658 Fifth Ave in San Diego from 6PM-12AM nightly for free food, no badge is required. Exclusive Taco Bell and Demolition Man merchandise available for purchase.
Your Opinion Sucks at the Hard Rock Hotel, with three live events featuring Grae Drake and Mark Ellis, and special guests. Thursday through Saturday, at 4:30pm for the 3 events. First come, first serve. Follow Facebook event page.
“Overwatch Payload Tour” July 18th through the 22nd at the Omni Hotel Floor 4 Grand Ballroom. In this activation, folks can choose from a selection of Overwatch prop weapons, step into a 360 degree rotating stage that transforms into an Overwatch map, and share a video of the experience. Each participant will receive an exclusive Overwatch pin.
Bob’s Burgers on Friday. Fox is celebrating the upcoming 150th episode of its animated comedy Bob’s Burgers, as well as the show’s move this fall to 8:30 p.m. Sundays, by partnering with Shake Shack for a day-long activation on Friday with the cast and producers at one of the hamburger chain’s San Diego restaurants. That day, the network will use a Bob’s Burgers-wrapped bus to transport Comic-Con attendees from the San Diego Convention Center to the Mission Valley Shake Shack, which will feature Bob’s Burgers/Shake Shack branding and artwork on the restaurant’s patio. Fans will also be able to take shareable photos of themselves sitting at the Bob’s Burgers counter. Fox will provide 500 free meals—the burger of the day, fries and a drink—to hungry Comic-Con attendees. The meals are only available to those who take Fox’s bus from Comic-Con; people who drive themselves to the restaurant will be turned away.