This is it, our definitive guide to the movies you can expect to see at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con. Some are confirmed, some are obvious, and some are kinda squirly so we give it our best guess based on available info. And, of course, because Fox is bailing on us, some films just wont’ show up. We give each film one of the following ratings, based on how likely it is to show up.
- ABSOLUTELY (confirmed)
- VERY LIKELY
- PROBABLY NOT
- WE HAVE NO IDEA
FIRST, we invite you to watch our show where guests discuss and debate which films will and should be there. The complete list is below.
MARVEL (usually Saturday at 6 p.m.)
- Doctor Strange (Nov. 4) –ABSOLUTELY. A photographer friend of ours contacted Marvel for new Doctor Strange photos and was told that they are holding all new images and video for San Diego Comic-Con. Yay!
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (May 5, 2017) –ABSOLUTELY. If we were betting men (which we are), we’d go all-in on Guardians. Marvel’s bringing Benedict. There’s no way they’d not also bring Pratt.
- Thor: Ragnarok (Nov. 3, 2017). Might save for D23. –MAYBE
- Maaaaaybe Black Panther with star Chadwick Boseman (Feb. 16, 2018). Might wait til next year, but that’s a D23 year, so they’ll probably do it this year. –MAYBE
- Maaaaaybe the announcement of new director for Captain Marvel. –MAYBE
- Ant Man and the Wasp (July 6, 2018) –PROBABLY NOT
- Spider-Man Homecoming! Coming July 28, 2017! Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr will likely be there. –VERY LIKELY
- Bloodshot (sometime in 2017) –WE HAVE NO IDEA
- Magnificent Seven (Sept. 23, 2016). Since Chris Pratt is in town for Guardians, –VERY LIKELY
- Underworld 5 (Oct. 2016) –MAYBE
- Passengers (Dec. 21, 2016) Again, Chris Pratt’s in town.–VERY LIKELY
- Jumanji (2017) –WE HAVE NO IDEA
- The Dark Tower (Feb. 2017) –MAYBE
- Bad Boys 3 (June 2017). Since Will Smith will be there for Suicide Squad. –MAYBE
LUCASFILM (usually Friday at 6 p.m.)
- Rogue One! YES — VERY LIKELY. Seeing as this is the very first stand-alone STAR WARS STORY, we can’t imagine a scenario where Rogue One doesn’t show up. They want to introduce fans to a brand-new type of Star Wars film, and SDCC is the place to do it.
- Episode VIII early news –VERY LIKELY. We think that Mr. Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill, may very well be in town for another movie he worked on — Warner Bros THE KILLING JOKE — so it makes sense for Lucasfilm to have “the jedi-who-doesn’t-speak” break his silence for the fans. And he LOVES the fans.
WARNER BROTHERS (usually Friday morning)
- Suicide Squad – FULL CAST! (August 5) –VERY LIKELY
- Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them (Nov 18) –MAYBE
- Wonder Woman (June 2, 2017) –VERY LIKELY
- Justice League (Nov. 17, 2017) – with the full cast. –VERY LIKELY
- Aquaman (July 27, 2018) –MAYBE
- A Ben Affleck-directed Batman solo film (unscheduled yet) –VERY LIKELY
- Blade Runner 2 (Oct. 2017) –MAYBE
UNIVERSAL / LEGENDARY
- Jason Bourne (July 29, 2016) –MAYBE
- Spectral (Aug 12, 2016) –WE HAVE NO IDEA
- Kong: Skull Island (Mar 2017) The star Tom Hiddleston will be there possibly for Thor: Ragnarok –VERY LIKELY (Update: Warner Bros is now actually releasing this film now; they plan to create a “shared universe” with Kong and Godzilla. Hmmm)
- Fast 8 (April 2017) Maaaaaybe? –WE HAVE NO IDEA
- Jurassic World 2! (June 2018) Chris Pratt will probably be in town for GOTG2 –MAYBE
- The Mummy with Tom Cruise (June 9, 2017) –VERY LIKELY
- Dispicable Me 3 (June 30, 2017) –MAYBE
PARAMOUNT / DREAMWORKS
- Star Trek Beyond (July 22, 2016), during the Con. –ABSOLUTELY!
STAR TREK BEYOND is having its red carpet premier at San Diego Comic-Con, taking place July 20 at the Embarcadero Marina Park South, and will feature appearances by cast members and a live performance of Michael Giacchino’s film score by the San Diego Symphony Orchestra.
- Jack Reacher 2 (Oct. 21, 2016) If Tom Cruise is there for Mummy –VERY LIKELY
- Trolls (Nov 4) from Dreamworks animation –MAYBE
- God Particle (Feb. 14, 2017) –VERY LIKELY
- Ghost in the Shell (March 31, 2017) –VERY LIKELY
- World War Z 2 (June 9, 2017) –MAYBE
- Transformers 5 (June 23, 2017) –VERY LIKELY
- Power Rangers (Mar. 27, 2017) –VERY LIKELY
- Divergent: Ascendant (June 9, 2017) –MAYBE
That’s a big slate to pick from. It’s going to be a HUGE year for films in San Diego. Except for one studio…
FOX (won’t be there)
It really stinks that FOX is bailing on Comic-con this year. Here are the films that MIGHT have been there, but now…..nada.
- Wolverine sequel (March 3, 2017)
- Deadpool 2 (2017)
- Assassin’s Creed (2016)
- Gambit (2016) with Channing Tatum
- Kingsmen: The Golden Circle (June 16, 2017)
- Mazerunner (2017)
- War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
- Alien Covenent (Summer 2017)
- Avatar news? (2018?)
Did we miss any? If all these films show up, it will be a HUGE convention this year.
For all your news, updates and opinions from the Comic-Con universe, follow The Con Guy!