This just broke today from THE WRAP. Idiots are ruining Comic-Con — AGAIN! Because of leaks, the studios are starting to high-tail it out of dodge — or at least, our of Hall-H. Last year Warner Bros. was FURIOUS when Suicide Squad footage leaked. Now the studios are taking pre-emptive action. Here’s what THE WRAP had to say:
The Wrap: 20th Century Fox Pulls Out of Comic-Con Hall H Presentation (Exclusive)
“20th Century Fox will not showcase its upcoming movie releases in Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con this year, TheWrap has learned.
The studio feels it cannot prevent the piracy of custom trailers and exclusive footage routinely screened for fans in attendance, an individual familiar with the decision told TheWrap.
Disney is considering pulling out of their regular showcase as well, the source added. A recent date change in their yearlong campaign of fan events, D23, puts it within days of ComicCon 2016 — suggesting the studio won’t double its efforts for fans.
Fox would likely have shown glimpses of “Assassins Creed,” the Michael Fassbender video game adaptation that wowed movie exhibitors at this year’s CinemaCon. An early first look at Hugh Jackman‘s “Wolverine 3” and the recently-delayed “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” were also possibilities.
Last year Fox screened footage from “Deadpool,” the perverse Ryan Reynolds superhero film that would go on to gross $760 million worldwide. A trailer prepared especially for the 2015 convention was screened on a Saturday — and a pirated version was available online the following Monday.
The same went for “X-Men: Apocalypse” and Warner Bros. hotly anticipated “Suicide Squad,” footage from which was shown while shooting was still underway — 13 months prior to the DC Comics film’s forthcoming August 5 release.
To read the entire article, go to THE WRAP.
Our take: STUPID IDIOTS always ruin things. Always. When the studios and Comic-Con says “DO NOT RECORD,” why do so many IDIOTS (that’s what we’ll call them from here out) ignore that request? Because they’re IDIOTS, that’s why….and now we’re gonna see the repercussions of their adolescent shenanigans….I guess that’s what we get when we allow momma’s boys who never leave their parents basement to attend “as press.” For crying out loud! This really pisses me off.
But we gotta ask: ON THE OTHER side of this issue: Isn’t the whole purpose of Comic-con to get publicity? To get the word out? Why are the studios bitchin and moaning, when all they really have to do is build their presentations to be something that CAN be pirated and shared and publicized….seems to me there are idiots on both sides. Bring out the stars and show footage that “ain’t too exclusive.” No one will ever know. Use Comic-Con to promote your film and stop bellyachin’ about leaks. Instead of showing footage that can be “damaging” to the film’s brand/marketing (really? sounds like BS to me), just create a presentation that you WANT TO BE SHARED….don’t get me wrong. This doesn’t excuse the idiots who’ve ruined the studio presence at the Con….but I just think the studios should outsmart the “momma’s boys who never leave their parents basement.” Use them.
Interested in San Diego Comic-Con? Watch our Comic-Con Survival Guide here:
For all your news, updates and opinions from the Comic-Con universe, follow The Con Guy!