Happy Comic-Con week! This is it — the week the entire geek (and pop culture) universe shifts on its axis and leans toward San Diego. This week on THE CON GUY SHOW, bring you all the information about the best parties and off-sites. And it’s not just for San Diego Comic-Con badge-holders. Nope! If you weren’t able to score a badge, you can GHOST the Con by attending many these off-site activations and industry parties. Some require a badge, but most don’t. Watch right here for the lowdown and have an awesome week!
SDCC PARTIES (off-sites are listed below the parties)
WEDNESDAY, July 17
- Batman’s induction into the Comic-Con museum character Hall of Fame. Fundraiser with DC Comics at the museum’s future home in Balboa Park will feature themed entertainment, special guests and more. 5 p.m.-midnight, 2131 Pan American Plaza. Tickets ($250 for main event, $50 for afterparty) required. Details.
- Pop Insider SDCC Kickoff.7-10 p.m., Coin-Op Game Room, 789 6th Ave. Tickets ($25) required. Details.
- Ready Party One.Hosted by Nerdbot, 9 p.m.-1 a.m. at Fluxx Nightclub, 500 4th Ave. Tickets ($35-$225) required. Details.
THURSDAY, July 18
- WENDY’S/IMDB Bacon Yacht Party. Wendy’s Baconfest aboard the IMDB yacht, first-ever fan party from 7:30-10:30pm, dancing, giveaways, swag, and lots of bacon. Follow IMDB on twitter for info about access.
- Fandom party.Preview Cirque du Soleil’s R.U.N, sample Jonnie Walker’s A Song of Ice and A Song of Fire whiskey. Special performance by Girl Talk. 7-11 p.m., Float at the Hard Rock, 207 5th Ave. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- IGN’s Amazon-sponsored The Expanse Located within the Amazon activation at the corner of MLK and 1st Ave. Time TBD, must be 21+. Friday and Saturday night parties, free to the public, starting at 7:30 p.m. 600 Convention Way.
- Her Universe/Hot Topic Fashion Show.6-8 p.m., Manchester Grand Hyatt, 1 Market Place. Free.
- Nerdist presents the Upside Down.8 p.m.-1:30 a.m., Fluxx Nightclub, 500 4th Ave. $35 admission. Details.
- Rave of Thrones.Kristian “Hodor” Nairn spins from 9:30-11 p.m., Omnia, 454 6th Ave. Free but reserved tickets encouraged. Details.
- Hop Con. Join us at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station on Thursday, July 18 for Hop-Con 7.0!
- The Supernatural Wikihosts their annual “Wayward Cocktails” fan event at Garage Kitchen and Bar on Thursday, July 18, starting at 6:00pm. Join fellow fans for Snacks from the Bunker, themed cocktails, mocktails, wine and beer, and a Hunter’s Bag full of exclusive goodies. Drink tokens will be available for purchase for Supernatural themed cocktails. Lower-cost sold out.
- Madness in the Methodis Jason Mewes’ (Clerks, Mallrats, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) directorial debut is a hilariously insane crime comedy in which Mewes also stars, alongside Vinnie Jones, Gina Carano, Danny Trejo, and his View Askew costars Kevin Smith, Stan Lee, and Brian O’Halloran. Mewes will participate in a special Q&A after the debut screening. Ticket info on: com/sdcc2019
- Reddit Party. The Comic-Con subreddit is holding their annual meetup & party on Thursday, July 18, at 7pm. The party will be at Trailer Park After Dark, basement level of 835 Fifth Ave. Read more and submit your RSVP on theComic-Con Subreddit post.
- Comic Book Legal Defense Fund’s Comic-Con Welcome Party. Kick-off Comic-Con with comics’ greatest creators at the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund’s Comic-Con Welcome Party,sponsored by comiXology Originals and hosted by superstar creators Tula Lotay & Jock in a “British Invasion” theme brought about by the help of Thought Bubble. Kieron Gillen will DJ the party along with Tula Lotay and surprise guests. Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab will be there with a new British Invasion fragrance for CBLDF supporters! The party is open to the public and starts at 8PM on Thursday, July 18th, at the Westgate Hotel. The party is free for CBLDF members, or a $20+ dollar donation at the door requested from all others at the door, with food and cash bar provided. Read more at org.
FRIDAY, July 19
- ABC/Disney TV Studios/FX Networks/National Geographic party. Pendry Pool House, 435 5th Ave., 8-11 p.m., invitation only/RSVP required.
- YouTube party.8-11 p.m. at the Provisional Kitchen at the Pendry Hotel, 425 5th Ave., RSVP required.
- Streaming service, Stargate Command, hostsStargate: Atlantis actors on Friday, July 19, 5:30 at FLUXX. For the first time ever, Stargate Command is bringing you a table read of scenes from the never-produced script: Stargate Atlantis: Extinction! Joe Mallozzi, scriptwriter; Paul McGillion, Carson Beckett; Jewel Staite, Jennifer Keller; Chris Heyerdahl, Todd the Wraith – and more! – will be on hand to read selected scenes, share anecdotes of Stargate Atlantis, and bring this exclusive event to SGA fans. Register now on Eventbrite. Legion M and Stargate Command members will take priority.
- The Gotham Group annual lunch.1-4 p.m., Revel Revel, 868 5th Ave., RSVP required.
- Bill Prady’s annual mixer.3-7 p.m. at the Hilton Bayfront Pool Club. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- BuzzFeed’s annual bash.This year, celebrating The CW’s Batwoman. 5-8 p.m., Altitude Sky Lounge at the Gaslamp Marriott, 660 K St. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- The Boysworld premiere fan screening and party, sponsored by Amazon. The first two episodes will be screened ahead of its streaming debut. 7-11:30 p.m., located inside the Amazon Experience at MLK and 1st Ave. Must be 21+. Details.
- Warner Bros. TV Mixer.7-9 p.m., Float Rooftop Bar at the Hard Rock, 207 5th Ave. RSVP required.
- Awesome Mixer Vol. 2.9 p.m.-1 a.m. at Fluxx Nightclub, 500 4th Ave. Tickets ($35) required. Details.
- Farscape 20th anniversary party (Fluxx, 500 Fourth Ave, San Diego): Celebrate 20 years of the sci-fi show Farscape with cast members Ben Browder (John Crighton), Claudia Black (Aeryn Sun), Gigi Edgley (Chiana), and Executive Producer and Director Brian Henson, and creator Rockne S. O’Bannon. Autographs and photos will be available as well. Tickets: https://bit.ly/2XxgMw6; No SDCC badge needed.
- Polygon and TCL join forces for a massive rooftop party. Join Polygon members Matt Patches, Susana Polo, Chelsea Stark, and Simone De Rochefort along with special guest Janina Gavankar for a night of gaming and dancing. While the RSVP is full, you can still place yourself on the wait list.
SATURDAY, July 20
- Amazon’sCarnival Row 7-11:30 p.m., located within the Amazon Experience at MLK and 1st Ave. Must be 21+. Details.
- Entertainment Weekly’s annual bash.9 p.m., Float at the Hard Rock, 207 5th Ave. RSVP required.
- National Geographic and Nerd Nite celebrateBrain Games. 8-11 p.m., Soamar Terrace and Pool, 435 6th Ave. RSVPs closed.
- NBC party.8-10 p.m., Adjacent to Tin Fish, 170 6th Ave. Invitation only, RSVP required.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic SDCC Cantina. 7-10pm, San Diego Ballroom & Garden Terrace on the 4th floor of the Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter to party in this recreation of a “Star Wars.” The force, plus complimentary drinks and giveaways will be with you. Open to the public but space is limited, so it’s first come, first serve. RSVPs are closed, so walk-ups only.
- The Crossip 2: Ghostbusters Party (Werewolf, 627 Fourth Ave, San Diego): Werewolf is hosting a free Ghostbusters-themed bash with drink and food specials, karaoke, and giveaways with the Ghostbusters of Las Vegas and Southland Ghostbusters groups; No SDCC badge needed.
- Digital LA – Comic-Con Mixer: Digital LA invites you to unwind after a busy Saturday at SDCC with some drinks. The exact location will be sent to those who RSVP’d closer to the event. Digital LA is the biggest networking organization in the city of Los Angeles.
- The Night Time Show, Legion M Fan Lounge. Hosted by Nickelodeon star Stephen Kramer Glickman, Mike Black, Matt Walker, and Emmy Nominated writer Mike Glazer,The Night Time Show is one of the top entertainment industry podcasts in America. They are teaming up with Legion M and ASIFA to record interviews with award winning actors, legendary directors and industry giants.
SUNDAY, July 21
- SDCC Unoffical Blog afterpart, Pacy-con, at the Dubliner from 6-8.
Amazon Prime Video is headed to Comic-Con International in San Diego in a big way with a massive immersive fan experience that showcases three shows – The Boys, The Expanse, and Carnival Row – as well as a packed slate of panels, parties, and a free fan premiere screening. Cast and creators of The Boys will join fans for an exclusive two-episode sneak preview on Friday (July 19) at 7 p.m. at the Amazon Prime Video Experience at Comic-Con, which is on the corner of MLK and 1st in San Diego. Across from the convention, the stand-alone Amazon Prime Video Experience will celebrate two new Amazon Original series The Boys and Carnival Row, as well as the upcoming fourth season of The Expanse. The immersive 60,000 square-foot activation is an elaborate, splashy showcase, which features a 40-foot tower with LED screens playing scenes from the spotlight shows. It will be open from Thursday, July 18 through Sunday, July 21 (with a special preview day open to press on Wednesday, July 17). Fans will receive collectible gold and silver coins, which they can use to further explore the activation experience. Among the enticements: Carl’s Jr. burgers and a professional portrait photography studio set-up for cosplayers.
SYFY karaoke bus and trivia trolleys are back with songs and trivia from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s.Buses depart Thur-Sat from Union Cowork (704 J. Street), and run 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. each day. Trolleys leave from The Pendry Hotel (550 J. Street) and run 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Fans can sign up each morning beginning at 10:30 at both locations.
The Dragon Ball 2019 World Adventure opens on Wednesday July 17th at an expansive installation on the Marriott Marina Terrace at the Marriot Marquis San Diego. The tour will continue throughout San Diego from July 18th to July 21st and will be open daily from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Fans will be able to dive into the world of Dragon Ball with an expansive collection of multi-faceted interactive installations. Fans will also be able to capture their visit to 2019 Dragon Ball World Adventure with a unique and shareable complimentary memento via the Dragon Ball Animated GIF Photo Booth. If that wasn’t enough, there will also be collectibles and exclusive merchandise on hand for the more hardcore fans. But wait, there’s even more! Fans can collect stickers at each attraction inside the Dragon Ball World Adventure. Stickers may be redeemed for free premiums including Dragon Ball wristbands, posters, lanyards, stickers, fans and Saiyan Hair Set headbands.
The Orville Experience offsite museum will have props, costumes, models and more on Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. #TheOrvilleExperience.
NBC Offsites: Three of NBC’s biggest shows are taking over the Gaslamp District. “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” “The Good Place,” and “Superstore,” will have huge offsite experiences. The pop-up precinct will be located in front of the Tin Fish Restaurant on Sixth Avenue Thursday – Sunday at various times. You can pre-register for tickets at nbcsdcc.com.
The inaugural Fox Fan Fair, which will spread across 24,000 square feet and two activation sites. The eye-catching branding hub will feature free carnival games, super-sized lawn games, an ice cream truck, and a hulking 70-foot Ferris wheel that provides the event’s spinning signature centerpiece. The amusement rides and carnival games are themed to The Simpsons, Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy, as well as the upcoming animated series Bless the Harts. Fox also plans to distribute more than 83,000 limited-edition items (collectible buttons, lanyards, posters, etc.) over the course of the long weekend. The Fox Fan Fair will be at 200 West Island Avenue, across from the Children’s Museum. Thur-Sun. All free.
The Pennyworth experience begins with a challenge and fans who figure out the correct password will gain access to the Velvet Rope (a high-society London lounge filled with gambling, drag and cabaret performances, live music from the era), as well as a library that leads to an eerie poetry reading in the posh hidden headquarters of the mysterious Raven Society. The final stop is the Raven Society’s dank dungeon where the membership’s darker deeds present themselves. The Pennyworth experience will be located inside the Oxford Social Club at the Pendry San Diego Hotel (435 Fifth Ave, San Diego, 92101). The experience will be open to the public from 11am-5 pm on July 18. Those hours expand to 10am-7pm on July 19th and July 20th.
AMC will host DeadQuarters (at 4th Avenue and L Street), the “official fan zone” of The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead. This year’s edition will feature a curated walk through of settings (including “Winter Escape” from the Season 9 finale of The Walking Dead) as well as an elaborate treehouse and plane crash site inspired by Season 5 of Fear the Walking Dead. Video game demos and previews will also be on site. DeadQuarters will be open to the public July 18-20, 11 AM-6:30 PM and July 21 from 11 AM-4 PM.
Conan at Spreckles Theatre – Wednesday, July 17, the cast of It Chapter Two. Thursday TBA. Friday, July 19, the cast of Veronica Mars. Saturday, July 20, the cast of Carnival Row starring Orlando Bloom.
Team Coco House: Conan’s pop-up comedy is at Tin Fish, featuring a daily lineup of comics, podcasts, panels, trivia, giveaways, and surprise appearances. Tickets available now. More info at tbs.com/teamcocohouse.
PETCO Interactive Zone. Will include a Ripley’s Believe it or Not Car Lot. Impractical Jokers Museum on Wheels. The Interactive Zone brings together several pop culture booths (Sharkzilla!) and studios for games, food, and fun for fans; No SDCC badge needed.
Impractical Jokers Museum on Wheels. Will be at the Petco Park Interactive Zone Thursday and Friday, then at Jokers Island on Saturday. Jokers Island takes over Petco Park on Saturday. Noon – 9 p.m., entertainment including DJ G Money, exclusive merchandise, face painting, free food, misting tent, autograph signings, a live show hosted by Joey Fatone at 7:15, and screening of mid-season premiere.
Adult Swim On the Green: Adult Swim brings back its annual carnival on the green outside on the lawn behind the convention center. Rick and Morty’s Rickflector will be there to trans-portal your melted minds into the animated world of Rick Sanchez. Toast your buns on the mechanical hot dog, stay at night for special late-night presentations, and more. There’s a link to sign, but all I get are error messages.
Legion M Fan Lounge: Presented by The Pop Insider, will take over Gaslamp Quarter’s Theatre Box San Diego and its brand-new Chocolate Lounge and rooftop patio at 701 Fifth Ave. Cash bar, activities, appearances, giveaways and other events.
FX Fearless Forum. Anchored by American Horror Story: 1984 — Face the Darkness activation. The immersive excursion features classic tropes of slasher horror, augmented by night vision goggles to turn up the terror. The installation will also feature activations for It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Archer and What We Do in the Shadows. 12-6 p.m. Thursday; 10 a.m.-6 p.m Friday and Saturday; and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday at the space adjacent to the Convention Center. Pre-register for an RFID badge at FXSDCC.com in advance.
The Good Place diner. Visit the Interdimensional Hole of Pancakes as seen on the NBC comedy. Enjoy themed meals and feel what it’s like for Michael to be truly powerless. Thursday-Sunday at Maryjane’s Diner at the Hard Rock Hotel.
HBO’s Watchmen activation. (Sixth Ave & Island Ave/Petco Park Home Plate Gate): Experience to world of the “Watchmen” with HBO’s interactive, in-world activation. Fans will receive custom pins and explore the Watchmen world through an augmented reality experience. The activation will be at both Sixth Ave. and Island Ave. and at Petco Park’s Home Plate Gate; No SDCC badge needed.
Jean-Luc Picard: The First Duty Exhibit. Featuring props and costumes tracing the character’s life and Starfleet career. 11 a.m.-9 p.m., Thursday-Saturday; 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday at the Michael J. Wolf Fine Arts, 363 5th Ave. Free.
Superstore’s Cloud 9 pop-up. Beat the heat in the faux department store, located in the main lobby of the Hard Rock Hotel. Thursday-Sunday.
The Twilight Zone Experience. Thursday-Sunday at the Interactive Zone at Petco Park. Reserve free tickets at StepIntoTheTwilightZone.com.
Warner Bros. Experience. Walk through immersive experiences featuring Pokemon: Detective Pikachu and Shazam. Opens Wednesday at 5 p.m. and runs through Sunday, outside the Omni Hotel, 675 L St. Free.
South Park Mini-golf course (200 Harbor Drive #120, San Diego): Hit 9 holes with the characters of South Park on a mini-golf course themed to the show. Visitors can also purchase limited edition South Park shirts; No SDCC badge needed?
Stan Lee’s Alliances: A Trick of Light (327 Fourth Ave, San Diego): The new Audible Original Stan Lee’s Alliances: A Trick of Light takes SDCC fans on an audio-driven journey for a new connected universe with all new superheroes; No SDCC badge needed.
Borderland Museum of Mayhem (530 Sixth Ave, San Diego): Visit Nerdist’s Museum of Mayhem giving fans a glimpse at Borderlands 3 artwork, photo booths, gift shop, on-site barber, and other interactive experiences; No SDCC badge needed.
Kitties and Coffee for Comic-Con (472 Third Ave, San Diego): Book your time at The Cat Cafe and get a 45-minute session with adoptable cats from The Rescue House and a food or drink item for $20 during SDCC. Book a visit: https://bit.ly/2FB4hpn; No SDCC badge needed.
Peanuts Pop-up Shop (226 Fifth Ave, San Diego): The Peanuts celebrate the 1969 moon landing with memorabilia on loan from the Charles M. Schulz Museum including comics strips and clips of “Peanuts in Space.” Guests can purchase limited-edition Snoopy and Apollo skateboards; No SDCC badge needed.
“Revenge of the Boodega” pop-up shop (701 Eighth Ave, San Diego): Super7 hosts “Revenge of the Boodega” pop-up shop, featuring exclusives from Universal Monsters; No SDCC badge needed.
SHAZAM! Fan offsite – Visit the Chilladelphia Winter Carnival from the movie. Play games and win prizes.
Nerdvania returns to Atomic in downtown San Diego from Wednesday through Sunday of Comic-Con. Located on the 2nd floor, in the Tiki room of Atomic, the shop will have Funko Pops, toys, comics, and other colelctibles. The venue is all ages until 9pm.
Pokémon Detective Pikachu experience. Experience the magic of Ryme City in an immersive walkthrough pop-up based on the hit film Pokémon Detective Pikachu. Guests will be able to explore the neon cityscape, Ryme City marketplace, film prop displays, an infinity room and more. Fans can win prizes while having the opportunity to take photos with multiple characters from the film including Detective Pikachu himself! The offsite will be located outside of the Omni Hotel and open Wednesday 5PM – 7PM, and Thursday – Sunday, 10AM – 7PM.
Super7 Peanuts Grief Gift Shop (Friday – Sunday). Return to the good ol’ days of Peanuts at the exclusive Good Grief, a Super7 x Peanuts Gift Shop, showcased at the Super7 San Diego store (701 Eighth Ave). This pop-up will take place Friday through Sunday and feature products from Super7’s collaboration with the beloved Peanuts , which focuses on the more stylized 1950’s and 60’s characters from the launch of the comic strip.
Comikaze Presents: Artists Alley III. The 3rd annual Comikaze Liberty Station Artists Alley, offering space to any artist unable to get a booth at Comic-Con and any Publisher who would like to have a pop-up space to meet their adoring but non-badge wielding fans. Comikaze is a 15-20 minute ride from downtown San Diego, located in beautiful Liberty Station on Pt. Loma.
Tables will be open 11am-6pm daily from Tuesday, 7/16, through Sun, 7/21. No badges are needed but a Comic-Con badge will get you 10% off in the store.
Stargate Command at Legion M. MGM’s Stargate Command will present a replica Stargate photo opportunity in the Theatre Box lobby for the whole weekend, and will give attendees a chance to spin the prize wheel for unique Stargate prizes, including mini-posters, pins, buttons, original SuperFan creations and more. Talent will be dropping by for autographs. The area will be open Thursday and Friday, 12PM – 5PM, and Saturday and Sunday, 10AM – 5PM. All gate travelers welcome!
THURSDAY, JULY 18
Terminator and Arnold Sharzenaegger Fan Meetup. Hilton Bayfront Pool Lounge 3:15-4:15. Dress in Terminator cosplay for a free poster.
FRIDAY, JULY 19
GALAXY QUEST, A Special Summer Screening with Live Music at the Jacobs Music Center.
Academy Award nominated composer David Newman conducts the San Diego Symphony performing the score he wrote for Galaxy Quest, while the film is shown on the big screen. Celebrating 20 years this year. Get tickets at SanDiegoSymphony.org.
SATURDAY, JULY 20.
Mavel I love you 300 Tour Kickoff: Calling all Avengers fans! Join Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Endgamedirectors Anthony and Joe Russo and special MCU guest(s) at the IMDboat as they celebrate the in-home release of the film. Costumed guests will be welcomed aboard to participate in a special Marvel Studios Cosplay photo with the Russo Brothers and their special guest(s). Saturday, July 20 at 1:15 – 2:15pm. General fans who arrive on-site will be gifted with a free ice cream courtesy of Ben & Jerry’s (while supplies last). Special guests from Marvel Studios and the MCU will visit nine U.S. cities — beginning in San Diego at Comic-Con International on July 20 and ending in Anaheim at D23 Expo 2019 on Aug. 25 — greeting and treating fans at each tour stop.
Walker Horde. AMC invites fans to dress as zombies for an official Walker Horde moment at Petco Park on July 20 (doors open at 9 AM). Attendees will help re-create a walker scene for a photo that will be part of an official marketing campaign for the 10th season of The Walking Dead.
Vikings Battle Ax Training. Saturday at Throw It, 339 7th Ave., 11 a.m.- 9 p.m.
Meet up with other Outlander fans outside the San Diego Bayfront hotel, near the wind chimes art, on Saturday, July 20, at 7:30. Outlander TV News will be handing out some swag. Keep up to date on their Facebook event page.
La Bodega Gallery hosts their annual SDCC-themed art show, and this year is Comic Book Art. The opening reception will be Saturday July 20th, from 5:00pm to 10:00pm. The event is free and open to all ages. Cosplay is encouraged! They have a call out for art now, you can find out more on their Facebook event page
Make sure to watch the show (above) for a complete break-down of the parties and off-sites…. Or, you can download and listen anytime at any of these locations…. we’re all over the place!
Derek Samms @conguyderek
Luke Cheeseman @CheeseOnCouch
Katie Kawamoto @kt_christine