Jake and Joel are at it again, this time reviewing the 1990 film Captain America… yes, that’s right, Chris Evans wasn’t the first person to wear the red, white, and blue. Nope. Back in the 90s, it was actor Matt Salinger who donned the patriotic spandex. You might know him from such productions as “Picket Fences,” “What Dreams May Come,” and the classic “Revenge of the Nerds.” Here’s what Jake and Joel think about this earlier attempt at Super Hero movie-making.
C’mon Marvel fans — you gotta have a great sense of humor (not to mention a couple hours to kill) to love this one. It’s definitely not a “critical darling,” to say the least. But grab a beer (or 6-pack), a couple of good-humored friends, and a remote control for quick playbacks.
But let’s not pull our punches. This is the Rotten Tomatoes consensus: “Critics Consensus: Lacking a script, budget, direction, or star capable of doing justice to its source material, this Captain America should have been left under the ice.” Check out the Rotten Tomatoes page here >>>
And you gotta love the review from Entertainment Weekly: “The movie isn’t merely wrong for kids — it’s just all wrong.” Read their full review here >>>
Ha! You can’t help but love it. Here’s the low-fi trailer, in all its glory.
- Matt Salinger as Steve Rogers / Captain America
- Ronny Cox as President Thomas “Tom” Kimball
- Garrette Ratliffe as young Tom
- Scott Paulin as Tadzio de Santis/Red Skull
- Massimilio Massimi as young Tadzio
- Ned Beatty as Sam Kolawetz
- Darren McGavin as General Fleming
- Bill Mumy as young Fleming
- Francesca Neri as Valentina de Santis
- Michael Nouri as Lt. Col. Louis
- Kim Gillingham as Bernice Stewart / Sharon
- Melinda Dillon as Mrs. Rogers
- Carla Cassola as Dr. Maria Vaselli
- Wayde Preston as Jack